Rubric and feedback loop for PBL

 PBL proposal on plastic waste in China for G1

The proposal includes a formative assessment at the end of every lesson and a summative assessment according to the rubric. Most of the project is conducted using IT (pads, cell phones) which significantly simplifies collection of data. I decided to use ClassDojo for collecting data on classroom participation as it allows data to be collected on individual students as well as groups. Feedback can be arranged after class or at the beginning of the next lesson. As this would the first project of significant depth and length for my students a major aim/learning objective would be for the students to actually finish the project in a way where there would be a presentable portion (poster) or a deliverable of some kind (PPT). As PBL differs so significantly from typical learning in a Chinese school , be it public or private, (with open-ended questions, no rote memorization and a lot of collaboration a significant adjustment is expected from the students. The original proposal was written for a project spanning 7 lessons, but on later reflection I deemed that to be overly optimistic and so I modified the length of the project to 9 lessons. Originally, the proposal rubric was designed as a one point rubric, which on later analysis I deemed a bit too constricting, so I designed a new 4 point rubric.

A new four-point rubric for the project

Based on my knowledge of my students, for any group to achieve maximum marks on all rubrics is going to be near impossible, but I do expect one group (or a few students individually) to achieve 4 points on a few rubric items. Again, even though all items in the rubric are important and entail a significant aspect of the students learning, I still feel that merely finishing the project (albeit badly) would be mission accomplished.

Kommentaarid

Populaarsed postitused sellest blogist

Assessing assessed assessments

Pre-assessments and teaching